Thursday, February 12, 2009

up for consideration

I'm thinking about dabbling in photography... for real.

How did all this start?  I've been looking to hire someone to do Finley's 1 year portraits.  Everyone I have considered is either a)too expensive, b)not responding to my e-mails of inquiry OR c)out of town.

Then I started to think about how much I've spent on portraits for my kids (don't ask).  

Finally... I started looking at how much it would cost me to invest in a good camera & gear (backdrops, etc).  Boy has that been fun... spendy?  Yes.  BUT - I think it would be a good investment and would keep me out of Kiddie Kandids, Picture People, Sears and the like.

So I'm thinking I'll start out doing portraits of my own kids and if they're any good I can build a portfolio/website and go from there.  And I guess that is the big IF.

Thoughts?

I do have a background in photography with the emphasis on dark room work. I managed the dark room at my college (oh how I loved THAT). But taking photos of people and capturing facial expressions has always been my passion.  

Anyway... just getting my thoughts out (that's what my blog is for, right?).

5 comments:

Jenn said...

It's a lot of work but very rewarding to be able to provide a family with memories...and I'm sure the switch from a real darkroom to a digital one will be quite the adventure... CS3 is my best friend at times...

Heidi Boos said...

That sounds like so much fun! I am an avid encourager of moms who want to use some of their talents outside of the home, so I say GO FOR IT!!

Jen said...

You should totally go for it! You would be a great with children, and everyone wants photos of their kids. Can't wait to see what *develops*!

Cline Family said...

Go for it! I wish we lived close enough for you to use my kids as practice! I cannot get any good pictures here that don't cost huge amounts of money. And I love black and white but all they do at like sears is the sepia kind of cheap look. I think it's a great idea and you should definitely do your research and do it!

Anonymous said...

That's aweseome, Sally! I hope that works out, and that it's rewarding despite the work/cost.