Thursday, March 19, 2009

Couch to 5k

So, I'm giving the Couch to 5k a shot.

I have never been a runner. In fact, I have not taken a P.E. class since 6th grade when I suffered a swimmers injury of sorts and was diagnosed with juvenile rheumatoid arthritis. That injury/affliction excused me from the classes in school and confined me to the swimming pool for any sort of fitness. Thankfully, it was something I was always told I would outgrow by adulthood.

A week ago, I started on this Couch to 5k program and I'm surprised that I actually enjoy it. It's only 3 days per week for 25 minutes in total. I leave the house (rain or shine) the minute Kent walks in the door. It alternates running with walking to get the non-runner (me) eventually to the place where she can actually complete a 5k run.

I'm really enjoying the outlet - that's almost a whole hour and a half of *me* time per week! It's also not nearly as hard as I thought it would be. Granted, right now I'm at the part where I do just 90 seconds of running followed by 2 minutes of walking. I know full well that this will get harder and I may not like it so much later. But for now it's a good fit for me.

I am also enjoying Yoga with my girlfriends on Wednesday nights. What a relaxing treat this is!

It's a good thing I'm getting all this exercise. Between Finley's birthday, St Patrick's Day, our anniversary and Kent's birthday (happy birthday, sweetie) this has been an EATING month. I've actually held pretty steady but I'm ready to kick it into gear and start getting some more of these pounds off! Wish me luck!


3 comments:

Jen said...

I wish you luck! What a great idea. I'm sure you'll do really well.

Cline Family said...

I recently downloaded a podcast to do this as well. I'm not running though...too hard on my no cartilage knees! It is a challenge to walk that fast and I'm sure it looks funny too! But I love the beat and the tunes!

Andee said...

Way to go Sally! I did the Cto5K last summer and am still running 3 miles 3 times a week after never running before in my life. I have a love/hate relationship now. I would probably give it up except for the "me" time and the 4 activity points! Big motivators for sure! Some friends are trying to talk me into a 10K this summer. A year ago, I'd have rolled my eyes and blamed my knees. Now? We'll see.