Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Magical

Our family tradition is to get our Christmas Tree the Saturday after Thanksgiving.  Every year.  We do it this early for a couple of reasons.  #1 I don't like crowds.  #2 Putting up the tree is a LOT of work.  If I'm going to do that kind of work... I want it up for a while.

We live in the midst of a lot of tree farms, but instead we drive 50 minutes to Loch Lolly Christmas Forest.  We love it.  We get there early and we wait for Santa.  And then we hear his bells as he walks down the gravel road shouting, "Ho Ho Ho MERRY CHRISTMAS!"  My boys hear him and their faces light up with excitement and they RUN up the gravel road to greet him.

From there, the boys join him in his sleigh and he talks to them at length about what they want for Christmas and whether they've been good.  He asks them to leave him cookies and to please not forget about his reindeer who would love some carrots.

To look back at our fun from Loch Lolly in previous years, click here.



Running to Santa



Telling Santa about all the Transformers he wants for Christmas.  He brought an example.  

What IS this?

Walking with Bompa Allen

Helping Nana Sue find the perfect tree

We found the "best tree ever!"

brotherly love

Nanie Janie helping Finley drink his hot cocoa by the pond

hot cocoa by the fire and the pond

My boys


Part of our tradition is to have lunch afterwards at McMenamins Lodge in Forest Grove

4 comments:

Jodi Stilp said...

both of those family pictures are great!

Jennifer said...

I love this! What a fun tradition!

Sarah said...

So cute

Anonymous said...

Oh my - I absolutely LOVED reading about your tradition. You have such a great family, Sally. :) Phil and I are trying to find a real Christmas tree somewhere around here ... so far we've found a little 2 footer for $50 ... a little spendy, but it's still potted, so I'm trying to convince Phil that we could keep it alive for next year too!

Phil says Hi and keep up the good photography. ;)

Happy Christmas season!
mel and phil