Thursday, January 13, 2011

Sew what? (and) "Chef Sally" explained

My sweet Mom bought me patterns and fabric for Christmas so that I could sew some fun aprons for work.  I've not gotten my sewing machine out in YEARS.  I was surprised that I actually remembered how to use it quite honestly.  

Why aprons?  I don't think I've yet blogged about my "new" job.  It's quite honestly, the best job that I've ever had.  My job title?  "Brunch Chef."  Which makes me giggle... When people ask me what I do and I tell them I'm the "Brunch Chef" at a local coffee shop they look at me quizzically.  "I didn't know you went to culinary school?"  True I did not, in fact my degree is in Communication Arts.  Thus I communicate through food.  I love food.  I love creating food, trying new recipes and making them my own.  Oh ya, and I like to EAT food too.  My book of choice for reading?  Cookbooks.  I also love writing about food via facebook... which is truly how I found my fabulous job (thank you Mercy)!  So while yes, I am not a trained Chef, I am a foodie through and through, which is what makes this work.

This place is special to me.  I still remember walking through the doors my freshman year in college (almost 20 years ago) and sitting with my friend David pouring over a "Where's Waldo" book.  I don't believe I even liked coffee then, but trying out the signature "Razamatazz" changed my life and my view toward espresso.  At that time the shop was tiny.  It consisted of a coffee bar and a few small tables and the outdoor patio with heat lamps (which I thought were genius at the time).  The owners and their children lived in the rest of the house.  I remember wishing I was a part of the "club" that works there.  I suppose I am now.

What does my job entail?
Day dreaming (at home).  Thinking up yummy food creations.  Perusing the internet.  Practicing yummy food items out on family (they like this).  

Every 2 weeks:
Write menu which will be our menu for 2 weeks in a row.  Try to incorporate as many in season and local ingredients as possible.  Figure out what items we have normally at work.  Figure out how to get the items we don't normally have.  Decide how much items should cost.  Type out menu and make it look pretty.

Go to work on Friday and do as much prep work for the weekend as possible.  My list usually has about 30 items but it's FUN.  It's a break from my sweet kiddos... and the people I work with?  They are sincerely the most interesting and warm people I know.  I love them (but don't tell them I said that).  

Saturday & Sunday
Cook items for happy customers to order and serve their food to their table.  I LOVE our customers.  They are sweet & friendly and I'm getting to where I know many of them by name.  I love hearing the oohs & aahs as I set their food down in front of them.  I try REALLY hard to make it pretty.  The best compliment is when I see a customer whip their phone out to take a photo.  It warms my heart every time.  I also get to clear tables and do dishes which I enjoy in a twisted kind of way.  I love the hustle and bustle of the coffee shop and watching customers come and go.  It's truly a pleasure.  

Which brings me to my apron.  I wanted some fun and whimsical aprons to wear to work.  I had so much fun sewing that I'm anxious to make more.  In fact, I've not even put my sewing machine away quite yet... thinking I might be ready for the next one.  

Here are some photos of my fun apron.  And I think I'll slip a contest in here at the end for the local people... I will mail a $5 gift punch card to the coffee shop I work in to the first local person who comments ON MY BLOG... detailing my obvious "mistake" on my apron.  If I've told you about my error, please don't play.  :)   As for my "mistake" - I think it just makes it look hand crafted, don't you?




12 comments:

Carrie Kisling said...

Hmmm, mistake? It's VERY cute!! Is the left pocket not the same size as the right pocket or is that just the way it's laying on your counter?

Carrie Kisling said...

Or is it the left neck strap skinnier than the right one? Again, it could just be picture. Regardless, great job! It's SO fun!! Makes me want to make one. :)

Anonymous said...

There are no mistakes in crafts/art it's just the artist's trademark...it's very charming and I think you'll look cool wearing it.

Charity said...

Very cute! I think I'm going to have to make myself a few new aprons now. Love love the fabric too! (even though the fabric is upside down) ;)

Unknown said...

Sally the apron is beautiful. The only thing I see is what Carrie mentioned about perhaps the pocket being a different size... it gives it character ;)

Sally said...

DING DING DING! Charity is the winner!!! Yep... I was so concerned with whether to have the stripes horizontal or vertical that I didn't pay attention to the fact that the pears and coffee cups are UPSIDE DOWN! I had a sweet customer tell me that it actually was correct because when I wear it, I can look down and they appear right side up. :) Charity - I will buy you a gift card this weekend and get it to you soon. :) Good eyes!

Anonymous said...

I love the apron and it will look so beautiful on you!! Still hoping/planning on visiting you at the Cafe!

charity said...

Yay! You really don't have to buy me a gift card!! Your customer is totally right- whenever my kids get temporary tattoos on an arm, I make sure they are upside down so they can see them the right way :)

Sarah said...

It turned out so good. I want one =)

JAG said...

I see no mistakes!!! Nicely done. I didn't know that you could sew, maybe you could teach me one day!!!

Sweet Customer said...

The upside down cups mean the coffee was so good I drank it all. Eating a pear upside down is actually more efficient - it's bigger on the bottom! You are very talented!

Heidi Boos said...

Thanks for sharing, Sally! I love hearing how you became the Brunch Chef. And, I LOVE the apron...I wouldn't have noticed the fabric was upside down because I was so impressed with your sewing abilities. :)