Tuesday, February 09, 2010

So I've got this friend named Andrea... (a thank you)

How to start this sweet, sweet story.

Christmas morning, Spencer got a gift from us that was very very special to him. It was a bed tent and he'd been talking about it for months. This was after weeks of him trying to construct one himself out of a blanket and hair elastics. Yes, he actually slept under this contraption as he eagerly anticipated Christmas morning. Christmas morning his eyes about popped out of his head, he was so excited about this bed tent.




Fast forward a couple of weeks and he gets the yucks. And he throws up all over the bed tent. It's not salvageable. I was VERY frugal when I bought it at our local store... it was cheap both monetarily and in the way it was made. To say that Spencer was devastated when this happened would be an understatement. But he understood when I told him they didn't have them at our grocery store anymore and then ones on the internet were simply to expensive. For a few weeks now he's watched his brother go to bed with his bed tent and has not complained. So proud of my boy.

I have an awesome group of friends on the internet. WHAT? You say? You bonded with people on the INTERNET? But that's scary! It's unsafe! You don't know that you REALLY even know who they are. Ya, I know it looks that way. But I've been talking to this ladies since I first found out I was pregnant with Spencer. We met on Babycenter.com over 7 years ago. At that time there were hundreds of us (and yes, some crazies). Now we've whittled down to maybe what? 30 ladies? Many of us still converse via facebook and some on what we refer to as "the board." "The board" doesn't get quite as chatty anymore. But let me tell you, there are times when I have a bad day, when I need to complain, when life isn't fair. These ladies are there for me 100%. They have called me on my darkest days and seek me out on facebook when I'm sad or just to say hey or tease me. They pray for me and they tell me I'm not crazy when I feel completely irrational. They've also been there for me when my babies were born to share in the joy and when other happy things happen in life. These ladies live all over the United States and one happens to live in my neighborhood (total coincidence... love you Tera)! Many of them have met (I'm so jealous of you east coasters) and have gotten their kiddos together.

Anyway... when my sweet friend Andrea on the East Coast saw that my Spencer had accidentally destroyed his bed tent and was sad about it, she talked to her little boy (same exact age as Spencer). She told me that he has one, doesn't use it and would be thrilled to send it to Spencer. You should have seen the look on Spencer's face when he saw he had a package here from Cole! He opened it quickly and when he saw what it was he was SO excited! Let me tell you, we had it set up and on his bed within 15 minutes.

Andrea... you are a gem and THANK YOU. You are so sweet, selfless, and kind and it was so sweet of you to do this. Spencer was thrilled. You wouldn't even believe it!

I love all my girls from "the board" and though I've not met almost all of you, I love you all dearly and am so proud to call you friends. Even if it's not IRL (in real life).

Here are some photos of Spencer and his new bed tent. Think he's excited? Maybe a little.











8 comments:

Heidi Boos said...

How thoughtful!! And I totally support "over the internet friends". It's nice to know there are so many EVERYWHERE who we have to call on for support! Spencer looks so incredibly happy!

Sarah said...

AAAHHH!! They sound like an amazing bunch of women. You are really lucky.

Unknown said...

I love Andrea, too! And you, Sally, and our little "board". :-)

Andrea said...

I am SO happy that he liked the bed tent! YAY! It made me sad that he would have to lose his prized present because he got sick. That's rotten luck and I'm glad he will get to have a bed tent again. :)

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful friend to have!! I love that you have internet friends as I do to and they are a blessing!

Jolene Brown said...

That is such a great story!! How fun to have a pen pal (tent buddy) on the east coast! :-) It's amazing how God connects us with others. Thanks for sharing! Love the pictures!

Laura@OutnumberedMom said...

Wow...what a sweet story! And an awesome pirate bed tent, at that!!

Come on over sometime for some mom encouragement and inspiration!

Rebekah said...

Oh my best friend growing up had a bed tent is it was pretty much the coolest thing ever!