Kent and I have gone back and forth on what the best use is for our den. We know it'll never be a kid bedroom simply because it's too far away from the rest of us to function as such. We needed it to function as a media room, artist studio (Kent) and crafty area (me). We invested all sorts of time and money on one of those Elfa systems from the Container Store. It seemed okay, and definitely held a lot of stuff. But I felt this odd sense of almost being smothered by all the business climbing up my walls. Plus we did it in chrome so it felt like an industrial closet of sorts. I just didn't feel inspired there. So down came the shelves and up went. well. nothing. We did find a new use for the shelves... they are in the garage holding stuff and in the den closet holding even more stuff.
I was waiting to be inspired with what to do with the wall over my craft area. I wanted it to be pretty and inviting without spending much money or painting the walls (which believe me, I WANT to paint).
See the before and after photos below to see what I came up with...
BEFORE
Wow... isn't it nuts? I found I could never do anything creative here because the top of my desk was always COVERED in stuff.
AFTER
sigh. Feels so much better. I made the bulletin board which was shockingly easy. (insert public apology here: so sorry to my husband for the now permanently orange spray painted garage floor. Can you say, "overspray?" Oops). The small shelves I bought shortly after we were married and have had many many uses over the years. The big white thing is from Michael's and I was able to use a 50% off Joann's coupon to purchase it. Yay for coupons!
One of the fun things I love about this large white cubby shelf is silly, but makes me happy anyway. If you click on the photo and look closely, you can see the shadow of my punches reflecting directly above them so I can know what they are without taking them off my shelf. How cool is that?
The space is working well so far. I can keep it clear so that if I need to go in there and cut/organize coupons, I have a space to do it. If I want to make a card, the space is there. I also look forward to scrapbooking here... YAY! Spencer has even gone in there to do his homework.
2 comments:
It looks sooo goood!!! Only the last picture came up for me?
You need to make cards soon.
So pretty!! Sally, it looks wonderful. I'm glad you have an organized space so you can feel inspired. I loved that last picture...I clicked on it to make it larger and the shapes of the punches are reflected in the back of the shelf. So cool! Can't wait to organize my craft space in our new house!!
Post a Comment