Sunday, May 17, 2009

Disneyland - Day 1

May 10th, 2009
Mother's Day

This year for Mother's Day we flew to Disneyland... yay!  We didn't get into the internet while on vacation (other than via iphone) but I did keep a journal.  Here is our summary of Disneyland Vacation Extravaganza Day 1.  I will try to blog one day of our vacation everyday so this is going to take a week to blog the whole trip.

Sunday –
Our flight went very well. The boys all did fantastically on the airplane. Before we took off, Hudson kept saying he was scared but once we got in the air he said, "Yippee, this is fun... wooooo hooooo!"  We did give Finley Benadryl hoping it would help him sleep. It didn’t hype him up, however he didn’t go to sleep until about 20 minutes before we landed!

Our hotel is fabulous. The Howard Johnson is priced very well and the rooms are comfortable with a nice view of the Matterhorn from our balcony. We also learned that night that the view of the Matterhorn in Disneyland and the fireworks is also really something. But with that came the noise of the fireworks waking up Finley… thankfully my Dad was at the room to hold him and tell him it was okay until the fireworks stopped. The big boys slept right on through them, of course.  The pool at the hotel is incredible.  It's a Pirate ship with splash areas and lots of slides.  There is also a 1 foot pool... just perfect for Hudson!

When we got to our hotel on Sunday, we did minimal unpacking and then loaded up the kids and the stroller with all the stuff we felt we needed for the evening. We stopped at a very good restaurant called Mimi’s café for an early dinner. It was conveniently located across the street from our hotel. It was so good and so nice to take a quick break after our flight. The boys had a ton of energy… they were so excited to get to Disneyland. The walk from the restaurant to Disneyland was only about 5 minutes from there. The boys were so excited when we got inside! The first thing we did was ride the train around the park. The boys seemed to enjoy seeing some of what was to come. After we got off the train we walked to the Haunted Mansion because it was the first thing that Spencer wanted to do. It was a bit scarier than I think he was counting on. He rode it with me and Hudson rode with Kent. I think Hudson was about as scared as Spencer was! Spencer announced that he did not like that ride very much once we got off it! We also did the Tarzan Tree House and Jungle Cruise… the boys seemed to enjoy Jungle Cruise for sure. We also enjoyed the Winnie the Pooh ride... such a sweet ride.  Once we got the kids to bed that evening Kent and I headed down to Mimi’s for fried Zucchini and Spanish coffees. It was so yummy! At that point we realized we hadn’t remembered to buy the boys autograph books to meet the characters. So we went to Downtown Disney (enjoying the fireworks along the way) and picked them out some as well as a special surprise character for each of them to wake up to. Spencer got Donald Duck, Hudson got Mickey Mouse and Finley got a stuffed Pluto. They were so surprised when they woke up!

Hudson at the John Wayne Airport next to "his" sign.


The boys at Mimi's Cafe in Anaheim.  Kent and I made it here almost daily during the course of the trip.


Wow!  We're finally in Disneyland!



First Attraction?  The Disneyland Train!


Hudson and Kent


Grandpa Allen and Finley


The Winnie the Pooh Ride (Hudson's clear favorite).  He would always say, can we do it again?  I think he rode this one about 7 times over the course of the trip.


I only had the tele-photo lens for our first day at Disneyland (big mistake).  I'm glad I had the little camera too.


At the end of our first night at Disneyland


Sleeping Hudson with his new Mickey Mouse tucked in next to him


Stay tuned tomorrow for my summary of Day 2!

4 comments:

Andrea said...

FANTASTIC!! Sounds like it started out wonderfully! :) I love the story so far! Can't wait for the next segment. The pictures really do complete the tale. Hudson looks totally delicious snuggled with his Mickey.

Aj Schwanz said...

Yay Mimi's! Although my dad doesn't have fond memories of that place: he left his favorite hat there. :(

So glad to hear the trip (at least day 1) went so well! Looking forward to the further adventures. :)

Jolene Brown said...

SO FUN! You can see the excitement on the kids faces, it's so sweet. I love that Hudson is snuggled with Mickey for the night. Can't wait to see more pictures!

Heidi Boos said...

Sally, I love hearing about your adventures. I'm so surprised you went on the Haunted Mansion ride...I didn't even do that, but then again I'm a wimp! ;)

I bet the boys had such a great time, and I love the idea of the autograph books and giving each of the boy a little snuggly character. So fun! It sounds like it was a major advantage having the parents come with...some extra date nights squeezed in. ;)