Thursday, September 10, 2009

Entering Kindergarten

Spencer had his first day of Big Boy Kindergarten today. I remember when I was little I thought Kindergarten was supposed to be about Gardening and playing in "Garden's." Apparently I pondered it a little too phonetically. I remember still wondering when we we were going to see that Garden as we rounded the last day of school. Of course in preschool when we they said we were going for a walk in the "Neighborhood" I was upset that we weren't seeing Mr. Rogers... so I guess I was just one of THOSE kids.

Similarly Spencer was so very excited about Kindergarten, asking daily when the first day would be. He was counting down, he was so looking forward to being with friends. The first day finally came and he excitedly picked out his favorite shirt and jeans and got ready. He was so excited to be dropped off and gave me a quick kiss and wave when it was time for me to go.

He was pretty upset when I picked him up. He was bummed that he wasn't allowed to talk at school or play with toys. I think that being in a class of 5 kids last year afforded him some benefits that you just don't get in a class of 27! He was excited about some projects that he did and about some kids he met. Hopefully he gets used to not making noise at school. He is a walking jukebox at home... singing and humming to everything he does as well as being a walking narrative. I never thought much of it, but it's clear this is not something he will be able to continue. He also was missing his friends from last year and his teacher from last year. He also said something about being bummed that there was no swimming pool. Seriously. A swimming pool.

I asked Spencer just now what his favorite thing about school was today and he replied, "At least my favorite thing was you Mommy, going home!" Sigh... hopefully tomorrow will be a great second day of school.

Spencer excited for his first day of school as a Kindergartener!



Waiting in the gym for his teacher to take the kids to the classroom

His classroom

Story time with 26 other children

Meeting his teacher, Mrs. Thorsell at Orientation on Tuesday

Posing out in front of the school

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That breaks my heart. I hope he learns to love it and makes lots of friends. Hugs Spencer!!

Andrea said...

YAY!! He is such a doll - love the beautiful smiles he gave. That's a lot of kids to get used to. I think he will find a few friends that he looks forward to seeing every day. :)

Sarah said...

It will get better as he gets familiar with the routine. Don't worry!!!

Rebekah said...

His classroom looks great! 26 is a lot of other students!