Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Race for the Cure Portland

I've been blogging a lot lately... I guess our life has just been so full of busy life stuff that I want to record that I can't bear to leave anything out!

Sunday, we met my Mom downtown to show her our support in her battle with Breast Cancer at the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure. This is something we do yearly and we are glad to do it as I know it means the world to my Mom. She is a two time survivor and is doing wonderfully. She still has to subject herself to yearly mammograms (at one time it was twice yearly) which are terrifying to her each and every time. Sometimes she has to have biopsies... even more scary (now from my own personal experience).

This was the first year we were able to have all 3 of our boys come and it went so well! They sat in the stroller or walked like the good little boys they are. They did not complain but just took in the sights and they were so pleased to walk across the finish line with their "Nanie Janie" when the race was done.

After that we went to lunch at the Deschutes Brewery in Portland. We had a great time and excellent food. The big boys got to have Root Beer which they found to be pretty exciting. I like this place because the food is high end yummy food but it's loud enough in there that you don't have to spend the whole time encouraging the boys to be quiet. My kind of place.

We were also happy that Greg & Melanie joined us again this year with their kiddos Jeffrey & Gracelyn. My Aunt Lynne came too! My Mom's sister, my Aunt Marcia and her husband Jim were also able to meet us for lunch. It was great family time and we had a wonderful day. We love you Mom (and Dad too)!

Click here if you want to see the post from last years event.

These photos were all taken with my trusty "little" camera. Simply click on them if you want to see them bigger.


Finley and I with my great friend Natalie from high school days! She spotted me as we were waiting for the race to start... so fun to see her!



Spencer and Daddy



Finley enjoying the race!



More Smiles



Walking by the train station. One of the coolest looking building things in Portland.



Getting ready to cross the finish line with Nanie Janie


Crossing the actual finish line. I love how excited Hudson is in this shot!



Our group of supporters... Melanie, Gracelyn, Dad, Mom, Finley, Aunt Lynne, Me, Hudson, Kent, Spencer, Jeffrey & Greg



Kent & Dad



Finley



Spencer learning that the missing tooth is a great place for his root beer straw!



Hanging out at the restaurant!

2 comments:

Jodi Stilp said...

Sally this post gets me all weepy. I've not been affected by someone personally having cancer, but I know so many who have moms, aunts, etc. fighting the battle. I couldn't even read the two page spread in the paper covering the race. I got way too emotional. Good for you to support your Mom like this. What a beautiful day it must have been.

Anonymous said...

The picture of your mom and the boys crossing the finish line brings tears of joy to my eyes! What a wonderful memory your mom gets to make with her grandkids!!

Bless her and thanks for sharing!