Wednesday, September 16, 2009

A *Perfect* day!

Those were the words that came out of Spencer's teachers mouth today. We are so proud of our big boy!

Spencer has been working very hard at adjusting to this new thing called Kindergarten. His class last year was a class of a fabulous 5. I believe the most current class count for his Kindergarten class this year is 26. Big difference. After a rough first day, Spencer is starting to understand the rules his teacher has laid out for the class and he has worked so hard! His listening skills and self control have improved dramatically and I am so very proud of him. I also ran into the school counselor in the hallway yesterday. She shared with me some great ideas of ways to encourage him and also told me that he was very smart and seemed to find the school work easy. Those were such great words to hear!

I had told Spencer previously that once his teacher told me he had a great day that I would take him to the grocery store after school to pick out a candy bar. It might seem silly to most, but in our house candy is generally for after Birthday parties, Easter, Halloween, Valentines Day & Christmas. It is a true treat and I don't think they've EVER gotten to go to the candy isle and just pick any candy bar they wanted. Today we have the special treat of having his best buddy Jackson over for the day so Jackson got in on the fun too.

So off to the grocery store we went. FOUR boys. They did great in the store, had a ball picking out candy and came home for a photo and then promptly sat down to enjoy their bounty. Their candy of choice?

Jackson - Reese's Pieces
Spencer - Peanut Butter Twix
Finley - Skor Bar (oh wait, I guess it was ME who ate that one)
Hudson - Mini MnM's



It was a fun adventure for us and a great reinforcement for Spencer. We have our good days and we have our bad days... but rewarding those good days, sure is fun! Besides, it was fun to go to the store and get all those, "boy, she sure does have her hands full" looks. Gotta love that! Maybe I do have my hands full... but I wouldn't have it any other way!

A side note... as we were leaving school a little boy was excitedly showing off a potato bug he had found on the ground. I suddenly recognized the little boy and upon talking his Dad, realized that he and Spencer were in the same preschool class when they were 3! After that a little girl went running by and Spencer announced that she was his new best friend and that she's really nice "just like Katie!" Sooooo sweet... Then another little boy yelled bye at Spencer out his window... this little guy was a good friend of Spencer's when he was 4 and now they're in the same class. So fun to see familiar faces from the past and the promise of new friendships with some super kids. Yay! I am finally having that feeling set in that Spencer is exactly where he should be.

Baby steps!

1 comment:

Jen said...

That's great!
Hey, I'm just noticing...does Finley have a reddish tint to his hair?!